Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Tuesday Tutorial

Hello! Super happy to be here today to share my little trick for adding journaling on the occasions I don't have the space on my layout to do so. 


Seventy-five percent of the time I journal directly on my layout. If I don't it's because I either have already written enough on an adjacent page or, like on this layout, I have a busy background and know that my writing will be too hard to see. If the latter is the case, my solution is pretty simple: Make a hidden pocket and add a tag! Using the beautiful October "Waverly" Scrapbook and Embellishment Kits, I am going to show you just how easy this is!


I knew right away after picking the really great woodgrain patterned paper as my background that my journaling, which I do with a fine pen, would get lost on the busy pattern. With this thought in mind, I worked on my layout keeping an eye out for a good hiding spot for my tag. The design of my layout actually came from one of our Sunday Sketch Challenges from last month; I had seen the sketch and layout done by fellow designer Emma, and I just had to give it a go myself. With that being said, the obvious place for the tag was under the polka dot patterned paper and to do this I glued down three edges of the paper, leaving the right side open. To finish off the pocket and add a little bit of extra detail I stitched around the opening. This also helped to make the pocket more snug, so the tag would not fall out.


My final step in the process was to "lock" down my stitching. I very rarely will do this with the actual sewing machine since the back stitching would not look as neat as I would like. Instead, I placed some of the washi tape from the kit over the ends of my stitching lines. This will keep my stitching from unraveling. Here's the final project:




Wishing you all a fantastic day!

Michelle





No comments:

Post a Comment