Sunday, May 22, 2016

Sunday Sketch

Happy Sunday CTK friends! 

Brooke here today to share my take on this week's sketch!  Let's start with a look at the sketch...


And here's my take on it...


The doilies from the May Sprinkles kit were my obvious starting point, as they would act as the circles from the sketch.  From there, I took inspiration from the layering of the graph, title and banner from behind the photos in the sketch and started laying down a background for this project.  First, I used watercolor paint to squiggle messy lines on the white cardstock.  Then, I laid the strips of patterned paper and figured out the placement for the doilies.  The acrylic flowers were added for a pop of color.



It was at this point that I chose my photos and decided where my journaling would go.  My go-to color whenever I feel a project needs a little oomph is yellow.  I like how it instantly brightens a page and makes it seem cheerful!  So, I cut out a few of the geometric-shaped yellow strips to add throughout the page.  I sewed them down the center for added interest.


A colorful tag was tucked behind the photos to cover up the center of one of the doilies.  Funny note...I don't really like the blank circle centers of doilies...I always feel like they're missing something. So whenever I use them on a project, I try to strategically cover those centers up a little.


The last details added were the title, the silver glitter stars and my journaling.



Because I glued down the acrylic flowers before I placed those yellow strips, there is one part of this layout that bothers me...The bottom right corner.  I think that longer yellow strip of paper should actually be where the shortest yellow strip is.  Then it would be pointing up at the photos and leading your eyes there, instead of pointing to the doily in the upper right-hand corner.  Ah, such is life!

So, there you have it! 

I hope you're super inspired to create something using this week's sketch as your starting point.  I can't wait to see what you make! 

**To play along with this week's Sunday Sketch Challenge, create a layout based off of today's sketch, upload it to the gallery with today's date (5/22) in the title, and you will be eligible to win a $5 gift certificate to be used in the CTK Store!

No comments:

Post a Comment